These first 2 weeks flew by! What we covered in class so far:
- Day 1 & 2 – Introductions, Scavenger Hunt (blog link), & prep for our YMCA trip
- Days 3-4 – YMCA overnight trip
- Day 5 – Cup Stacking Challenge (blog link)
- This was the first time I tried this activity, and I was really happy with how well it worked in the classroom. Students were engaged and worked as a team to complete each challenge. Due to time, most groups did not complete all 6 of the tasks, but that wasn’t my goal. Collaboration, Communication, and Perseverance were my objectives.
- Day 6 – Nature of Science (Tangrams Activity) (link) & Intro to “I am a scientist” (blog link)
- This was the first time I used this activity and it lead to a nice discussion about learning new things, being challenged, and persevering and how somethings seem really hard at first, but then once you master it, it becomes easier.
- Day 7 – I am a scientist & Instagram (blog link)
- I am in the process of collecting the Instagrams that the kids drew and they came out great! I will post some examples next week.
- Day 8 – SpongeBob safety scenarios (blog link)
- This was an updated version of an activity that I have done each year, and it was much more engaging for the students, they enjoyed the challenge of finding the broken rules. This also reinforced their reading comprehension, being able to use clues from the text, evaluating text, summarizing the safety rules into 2-3 words only, to name a few.
Some pictures from my 6th grade classroom:
I did the cup stacking challenges and the safety lesson. They are great activities and the kids loved them. Led to great discussions and cooperation. The reading reinforcement on the safety lesson was great, also. Thanks for sharing these.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Sharon ~ Thanks for sharing your experience and glad it worked well with your classes! ~ Liz