NatGeo has a wonderful website that allows you to select any US state, foreign country, continent, or geographic region and download/print maps for free.
How can you use maps in the science classroom?
- Earthquakes – assign each student a region and plot real-time Earthquake data
- Tornadoes – select a state and research tornado activity
- Hurricanes – track current hurricanes or research historic hurricanes
- Mining – where are coal mines located? salt mines?
- Weather – plot current weather, fronts, isotherms, etc.
- Biomes – color in the biomes for your selected state or country
- Animal habitats – where do animals make their homes?
- USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map – what zones are in your state? what types of plants can grow there?
- Rainfall maps – does the amount of rainfall differ across your state?
NatGeo – Map Maker (link)