Balancing Chemical Equations Activity – one of my long time favorite activities. Students will learn how to read formulas, count atoms, create and read chemical equations, and balance chemical equations using a hands on activity with color coded formulas cards.
Lesson Resources: Create one set of materials for each pair of students. Store in a large zip-top bag
- Worksheet: handout with directions (pdf)
- Formula cards (pdf) – laminate and reuse each year
- Coefficient cards (pdf) – laminate and reuse each year
- Answer Key for the balanced equations (pdf)
- Google Slides (NEW) – Balancing Equations Answer Key Public Link
- These slides can be used to review answers at the end of the lesson
- You can also print the slides then laminate to use as Task Cards at a hands on station with beads to represent each atom
- For more advanced students, you can use molecular models and build each model.
- Practice balancing equations worksheet (pdf) and more from ScienceSpot.net