Quick & easy – no fuss – no mess – way to prepare cabbage juice in about 5 minutes:
- Chop up half of a purple cabbage
- Add to a coffee pot
- Fill with very hot water from sink or water cooler
- Let it sit for at least 20 minutes
- Pour into flasks, beakers, or plastic cups
- Add a pipette or spoon to containers
You can add more hot water during the day as you use it, refrigerate leftovers if using next day.
Here is the link to my Cabbage Juice Lab: https://middleschoolscience.com/2016/02/28/cabbage-juice-lab-ph-indicator/
My students have enjoyed the Cabbage Juice Lab over the years – and yes, it does smell!
Materials per group of 3-4 students:
- Student Handout (pdf)
- Cabbage Juice in an Erlenmeyer Flask with a pipette
- micro-wells or small clear bathroom cups
- litmus paper – blue and red
- ‘garbage’ cup
- beakers and pipettes for each solution
- Substances to test – diluted in water
- You can have all of these set up at one station and students can pick one up and take one to their desk for testing, then return it to the station and choose another substance- you don’t have to have a complete set for each group.
- lemon juice
- lime juice
- pickle juice
- baking soda
- hand sanitizer
- alka seltzer tablets
This classic interactive website is a great way to practice identifying acidic, basic, and neutral substances along with reading pH values. There are three different levels which increase in difficulty as the students complete each activity.
Challenge 1 – students have to identify and categorize the different ‘juices’ that they will serve to the aliens as either Acids, Bases, or Neutral.
Challenge 2 – students will practice serving requested juices to aliens, but if they serve a juice from the wrong category, aliens can become sick, or worse!
Challenge 3 – students have to change the pH values of the juices on the tray by either adding acids or bases to raise or lower the pH values.
- I have a handout with instructions for the students to record their progress (worksheet)
- Please note that the updated link is located at: (updated 3/4/18)