New 10/7/18 – Worksheet to record answers – Google Doc
- Website # 1: Step by Step Video Tutorial :
- Website # 2: Interactive – learning to read values to 10ths place
- Website #3: Interactive – more practice with measuring
- Website # 4 – interactive flashcards
Here is nice video that gives a general overview on how to use the TBB:
3/28/18, updated again 10/7/18
OHAUS is no longer providing the free online tutorial for this activity – I will post alternatives as I find them.
This is a great interactive tutorial from Ohaus (link). Using the tutorial prior to using the triple beam balance in class significantly improved the student’s understanding of how to find, read, and record the mass of an object to the nearest 1/10th of a gram.
For the tutorial, each student works at their own pace and is given immediate feedback for each answer they submit. The problems are randomly generated and each student has a slightly different experience, as opposed to having each student answer the same set of problems. Students will also review place values for 100s, 10s, 1s, and 1/10ths. (Values for the 100ths place may appear in the answers, but students will only be assessed up to the 10ths place)
Next Generation Science Standards, Science and Engineering Practices (SEP)
- (SEP2) Practice 2 – Developing and Using Models
- (SEP4) Practice 4 – Analyzing and Interpreting Data
- (SEP5) Practice 5 – Using Mathematics and Computational Thinking