- SpongeBob® Safety Rules and Scenarios Activity Teacher’s Edition (pptx)
- this power point can be modified as needed
- 47 slides with answers for each scenario
- Scenarios – Student Handout/Notes (pdf)
- Safety Rule Task Cards
- Pencils and highlighters
Procedures Part 1:
Prior to the students starting the activity on their own, I read the scenarios out loud for the class. As I read the text, students independently made a light pencil mark in each paragraph to indicate broken safety rules – anything that they thought might be an infraction. After I read the story, they worked with their partner to find the broken safety rules using the task cards. After a few minutes, I modeled the first broken safety rule to make sure everyone was on the right track and understood the directions.
- Each student will have a handout with all 5 of the scenarios.
- Each group will have one set of safety rule task cards.
- Groups will need to identify the safety rules that were not followed for Scenario #1 and pull the safety rule task cards related to Scenario #1. The rules that were not broken will be placed in a pile to the side.
- Students will lightly underline where the rules weren’t followed in their notes and write the number of the rule for each violation along with a brief 2-3 word description of the rule that was broken in the margin of their notes.
- Once they have found and identified all the safety violations for Scenario 1, they will do the same for Scenarios #2-5.
- Students will find as many of the 18 violations as they can.
- I don’t tell the students how many safety violations there are, then they can use process of elimination for the last scenario, I tell them that each safety rule task card will be used at least once so they know that there are at least 16 violations to find.
Procedures Part 2:
- Once the groups have completed the 5 scenarios, they will share their findings with the class.
- On the ppt, advance to Scenario 1.
- Ask one group to start – What was the first safety violation in this scenario? Which rule did SpongBob’s crew break?
- Advance the slide and the answer will be highlighted in either yellow or green font (see image below).
- The number in parenthesis is the safety rule number.
- All students will use a highlighter to highlight the phrase and make corrections if needed.
- Ask the next group if there are any other violations in the scenario, if so, what is the next one?
- Each group will contribute an answer until all of them have been identified for Scenario 1.
- Do the same for scenarios 2-5.
- Discuss your results/debrief.
Additional Resources for this activity:
- The original worksheet for this activity is from ScienceSpot.net (pdf)
- Interactive Notebook version of this worksheet (pdf)
- Marcia has some nice additional activities for Safety on her website (link)
- This ppt was modified from the original source found at (link)
- SpongeBob SquarePants® and all related characters are trademarks of Viacom International Inc.
- For more lessons on Science Skills, click on this page (link)